Sunday, August 22, 2021

AN ABORTED TURNING STONE TRIP

 

TURNING STONE


This is a short trip report because I aborted my trip, and did not stay overnight, but drove home in the evening of the first day.

It was very strange.

I guess I just got tired.

The score was minus 86 on the live poker and minus 66 on the JOB video poker. Not very good.

I had a fine Saturday, immediately getting a seat and then playing at a table with four fellas from Killington, Vermont who had driven to Turning Stone on a guy's trip.

They were friendly and funny.

We were joined with some regulars I like.

I lost quickly, regained to break even, and then lost just before going to supper.

My best hand was to have Q-2 in the big blind and flop 2-2-Q. I did not bet, but called the $2 when that bet came around.

I did not bet the turn. A fellow two seats to my left did. He had quite a few callers, and I raised when it got to me, and, of course, the rest called again. My opponent had 2's full of 6's so my 2's full of Q's took down a healthy pot.

No chances for a high hand this session. On Saturday they give out $300 every twenty minutes.

Supper was my usual Sinatra chicken at Savoy, Rome. This time I called for a reservation and asked for Rachael to be my waitress; however it was not crowded as it was last Sunday.

For the first time they sat me at a table in the bar room. I liked the change in scenery. All sorts of odd posters, a wooden mermaid from some old ship, a grand hammered copper ceiling. My photo of the large and beautiful stained glass ceiling light at the next table did not develop.

It is just a darkened blotch.

No pianist, but they played piano music, perhaps taped from the pianist.

I do love this spot.

Here was the ceiling lamp above the table next to me.

Everything was good.

But my resolve was weakening. I was just tired of playing and decided to drive home.

Easy drive with the beautiful full moon moving in and out of various cloud formations and colors. The best moon I've seen in year, and it was there for my entire trip.

The driving was easy. I was home about ten.

I still have no clear reason why I gave it up.

One advantage was missing sleeping in the van with the humidity and facing the drive home in rains caused by the hurricane.

Another is getting to be in a family zoom call happening this afternoon.

This morning there was practically no one on the lake. The pontoon gave me a nice ride and a good drift. A few were out securing their boats against the coming storm. The rain has started and Elizabeth tells me we are to get more than she thought we would this morning.

I won't be sitting out on the deck and enjoying the fresh water smells. We worry now after that last storm that produced the great flooding.

So it is fine to not have to drive in the rain.

I don't know what happened to discourage me. I suspect, after now having a good night's sleep and a great nap. that I was just too tired to engage the fun.

On September 1 Rivers in Schenectady is scheduled to open. Then I won't have far to go for a poker game and for better video poker than Turning Stone if they have not culled out the nickle triple play I like.

I hope they manage the opening on time.

No comments: