Tuesday, July 27, 2021

FOOD TR SNIP

 

THE FOOD


I handle being on a strict diet by limiting my eating to one meal a day in off diet mode. Saturday I went to one of my favorite restaurants, The Savoy in Rome and Sunday I had a decadent breakfast at the quaint Mary's Diner near the campground.


THE SAVOY

Saturday night supper


THE MENU AT SAVOY

This is a grand place to eat. I was hoping to have company as I have old friends in the area, but they were busy this weekend.

However, even solo I love this spot.

Linen is on the tables.

A piano players played old classics.

My waitress was cute and flirtatious.

And the food was incredible.

I picke the Sinatra Chicken which is eggplant and chicken and a sauce of peppers, onion, mushroom, all served over Utica greens, a favorite local medley of flavors:

This dish was popularized by Joe Morelle in the late 1980s at the Chesterfield Restaurant in Utica, N.Y., where it is on the menu as greens Morelle. More widely known as Utica greens, it has become commonplace, in modified versions, in Italian restaurants throughout central New York, and even migrated to New York City, Las Vegas and Florida.

It was delicious as had been every dished I have ever eaten over the years at The Savoy. I drank an O'Doul's as the only NA. Okay. A large basket of nice garlic bread came with the meal and a good sized salad. Bill: $25. I loved the waitress so much I left a $10 tip.


MARY'S DINER

Sunday morning


This is a old fashioned diner with a counter and round swivel seats and a scurry of waitresses and banter. The coffee was okay. I had a garbage plate with eggs over easy and potatoes, sausage gravy, bacon. Very rich and tasty.

Tables are for more than one, so I started at the counter, but one small table opened and the waitress moved me there, remembering I had asked for a table on the way in.

I sat just below a reprint of Hooper's 1942 Diner painting, Night hawks. A bit ironic and nice because I have just been reading about Hooper this week.

Images of Hooper's Nighthawk

I like this diner, but it is not open often. Sunday morning it packs up. I could have gone as early as 6 AM.


I guess Turning Stone food is good. I once liked the buffet, but it is closed. The others seem boring.


I brought snacks I can eat in the car, but did not eat them except for a bite of these Aunt Gussy's sugar free chocolate chip biscuits which are on diet and very good. They went well with the Farmer's Brothers coffee. I don't get hungry when I can play poker. 

I bring gum.

No comments: