Wednesday, January 20, 2016

OCALA TRIP 3

I drove up to play poker again at the Jai Alai.   Had a fine time.  Folks from the Villages were there.  They recognized me now and so I'm part of their community.  I had a great talk about Vegas with Larry.

The poker went very badly in the beginning.  I just seemed off my game.  I kept losing.  I made a fifteen dollar bluff bet after the river came in a way that shouted I had a straight;  however, my single opponent called me for her last twelve dollars with just a pair of Queens.

And that did not help me in later hands as it should.  I still would not be called if I caught the goods.  I played my better cards worse than I played my junk.  I had bought in for $140 and was down $50 when my luck changed.

I held 3-4 of hearts in the small blind and the flop came with the 5-6 of hearts.  On the river came the Deuce, giving me a nice straight flush.  I got called for $11 from the woman I failed to bluff earlier.  And my had went up on the board as the high hand with just 22 minutes to go.  I kicked out quad Aces.  Most sessions on Wednesday are half hour high hand sessions, but this one had been going since noon and would end at two thirty.  So my little straight flush was the highest hand in the room for two and a half hours.
I was pretty nervous, but it did hold up and I got $250 ($225 once the tip was paid)
An ex dealer Wes had caught a higher straight flush while sitting in my exact chair last week.  In the final seconds of the session someone caught a royal.  It was a tense 22 minutes.

Now, often I might get a bit loose and nutty and go through my winnings, but the rest of the afternoon I played pretty good cards.  I had on ten minutes when I made too many mistakes, so I took a good break, had some coffee, stretched, and came back.

At 5:30 when the Village's bus left,  I was ahead by $377, so I took my profit and went to the Iron Skillet buffet for some pulled pork and other tasty treats.

Now this is a odd bit.  I tossed 5-7 of hearts in a later hand only to see that I had tossed away another heart flush, this on to the 9 and a winner for that session.  Runner, runner straight flush. 

It is a friendly group, but one good natured fellow named Bruce who I've seen other years stopped giving me the good sportsman compliment, "Nice Hand" after I beat him again and again.  All luck really.  But I do love this game.

And the advantage of the 1-1 table can be seen here in my high hand win.  To play those cards to the flop all I had to do was check my option.  There is very little raising preflop and then it is usually just a dollar.  Very unusual for a no limit game.  I feel that one poker skill I do have is putting people on hands after the flop and that one works in this game.  Also, no one bluffs.  I was the only one at this table today.

There was more talk about the new game to open and this time it was from a fellow who will deal there.  He said it would open soft at the end of February and even that was optimistic as lots of construction needed to be done.

No comments: